Saturday, 25 July 2026

The Joys of The Last Months

There are times when I think about this blog, wanting to type something, but repeatedly I just go, "Who, of any potential reader, cares?" Do I? The last abandoned draft, eloquently titled "cringe lp stuff," starts with me lamenting being without any passions or important thoughts to document. Untrue by default since there was enough passion to start listing the aforementioned cringe collection. I've been extremely depressed this year, losing months to nothing. The worst is getting dumber and more numb every day, powerless to stop it. This week my back is testing my resolve and susceptance to painkillers, yesterday I could barely stand for ten minutes, today I was trying to dance, singing along to my speaker while making breakfast. What else is there to talk about besides music, then? Even just to say, there were things that moved me in the last six months, documenting somewhere in the quiet digital corner my brain forming coherent thoughts, my heart hurting, and even my body dancing in the kitchen. 

Music I've been particularly enjoying in the last six months:

1. Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight, 2008

A classic no-skip album. Good Arms vs. Bad Arms came up in my shuffle, and I remembered this album exists and then just could not put it down for months. Beautiful lyrics, melancholic, painfully nostalgic, and equally painfully hopeful music. The closing of the album has gotten heavier with time. Maybe it is precisely what keeps me coming back, go figure. 

Favourite songs: My Backwards Walk, Head Rolls Off, Floating in the Forth

2. The Amazing Devil - The Horror and the Wild, 2020

When am I not down for some The Amazing Devil? When am I not shaking them, asking Will there be more?, as Joey Batey says Yes. Soon, (like a liar). Yes, that guy, who was perfectly cast and played Dandelion in that god awful Witcher adaptation. I will never shut up that I knew him from before. That's my guy from the dramatic alt-folk emotional bard-core band. These damn theatre people. How dare they make me feel things? I cycle between albums, right now The Horror and the Wild is my favourite. Nothing scratches that particular folk itch for me like The Amazing Devil. My favourite song by them has always been "Ruin", I don't think that will ever change. 

Favourite songs: Wild Blue Yonder, Battle Cries 

3. CHVRCHES - Every Open Eye, 2015

This came out of nowhere. One day you randomly think about that one song from 2015 and then you are stuck looping CHVRCHES in the background for days and days. I'm obsessed with their song California (especially live acoustic versions) and honestly have been looping the whole discography. I simply note this album here because there are no obvious skips for me. I didn't really listen to this band for a long time, so it was nice to get reacquainted and go Wait, this is nice. 

Favourite songs: Never Ending Circles, High Enough to Carry You Over

4. Angelina Mango - caramé, 2025 

Modern Italian break. I wholeheartedly love this album. When poké melodrama came out, I was left with a mixed impression and without my Italian fix. On one hand, it made sense given her EP and singles despite my sliver of hope that something from her 2020's Monolocale would carry over, on the other hand, it felt overproduced, too polished. So when she hard-launched caramé, I unexpectedly abruptly got everything I could want and more. Did I shed a tear or two at come un bambino? Well, yes. No notes. My favourite album of hers. After the tour she added previous singles to it in "caramé style"... I am being so spoiled. 

Favourite songs: 7up, le scarpe slacciate, ci siamo persi la fine

5. Найк Борзов - Заноза | Nike Borzov - Splinter, 2002

Alternative rock in Russian from the early 00s for a reminder that you are, in fact, a sad old bald fuck and life is miserable. There's such lovely dread in this. With a pinch of fear. Also kind of sexy at times. I read somewhere they intended to make this album feel kind of timeless, I think they succeeded. 

Favourite songs: Это (This), Kingsize, Было есть и будет (Was and will be) 


6. Ethel Cain - Perverts, 2025

Mother Cain's ambient album. I'm not much of a lover of drone genre, maybe not much of a knower is more correct. But I will show up for Ethel Cain's vision and beautiful vocals. Recently, I've been falling asleep to this album, which is maybe a little weird now that I think about it, considering the dark subjects and themes of the album. 

Favourite songs: Perverts, Punish, Etienne

7. Ghost - Meliora, 2015

Being a big Ghost fan,I'm always listening to them in my day-to-day life. Right now, I'm more focused on this album, which is probably my favourite Ghost work overall. The closing of the Antichrist chapter. And yeah, there are several songs in their discography that could be considered scary/dark either in lyrics or the overall atmosphere, but one could argue nothing is more haunting than Deus in Absentia, just that ending alone, with the choir calling out to God and the dread of realising there's no one to hear us. What a way to close an album. 

Favourite songs: From the Pinnacle to the Pit, Mummy Dust, Deus in Absentia

8. Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt, 1969

A singer-songwriter folkish/country album. I was introduced to Townes Van Zandt by Jake Ewald of Slaughter Beach, Dog, formerly of the emo band Modern Baseball, what a journey. This album is so wonderful, it paints me a picture of a late day in august with windows open. It's a very quiet peace, and a tad melancholic, in that late summer kind. There're so many moments on the album that are simple and so beautiful at the same time. What a great lyricist he was.   

Favourite songs: For the Sake of the Song, I’ll Be Here In The Morning

9. Matt Berninger - Get Sunk, 2025

I'll always show up for Matt Berninger, the voice of the National. To be honest, I do not listen a lot to his first solo album, in turn, this second solo album has been stuck in my head since it came out. It has all the qualities of Matt's writing and musicality, yet I feel a distinct difference somehow between The National's record and this solo work. I don't know what it is. I'm thinking a lot about Matt's quote from Forbes: "Maybe only in my mind but you'll always be there whether I ever see you in person again, you're never leaving. This person might already be dead. The whole record is about a ghost but it's not a singular ghost, it's not one person, it's a ghost of something. It's a really romantic record. It's a romance with a ghost, I guess." I think this is the most inspiring album on the list. It makes me nostalgic for something I can't describe a shape of. 

Favourite songs: Inland Ocean, Bonnet of Pins, Silver Jeep, No Love 

10. Olivia Rodrigo - you seem pretty sad for a girl so in love, 2026

A pop girly you could not escape when she came out swinging that driver's license. I wasn't the target audience for her first album, though it has some absolutely catchy songs, then I mostly skipped the second one. But oh boy, am I loving this one! A pop girly who is practically screaming from the rooftops about her appreciation of The Cure? Robert Smith as a feature? Sign me up! So many times on my first listen I went Okay, I didn't know you had this in you, girl. I sometimes skip the coming-of-age movie soundtrack and "purple", but truly each song is good in its own way. I feel like there's a lot of inspirations here, from, duh, the Cure to bands like MCR. 

Favourite songs: stupid song, maggots for brains, begged, cigarette smoke

11. RAYE - THIS MUSIC MAY CONTAIN HOPE., 2026

Well, album of the year. What can one say about this masterpiece? This made my eyes water on the second track simply from the sheer beauty of production. As the track ft. Hans Zimmer (WHAT) was ending, I ascended and became the version of that meme of SpongeBob floating with headphones, absolute cinema, holy shit. Also, I don't think I've ever heard anyone end an album like she did, giving all the credits. I feel like it's the end of a musical, and I'm applauding all the actors. This album is honestly such a maximalist feast for the ears, I am simply grateful I am able to experience this gift. 

Favourite songs: I Will Overcome, Winter Woman, Click Clack Symphony, The WhatsApp Shakespeare, Life Boat, Joy.

1 comment:

  1. i'm sorry you dont feel well, life seems meaningless many times but i agree listening to music and dancing while doing your chores can help u feel a bit better ! so thank you for the recommendations !!

    ReplyDelete